St. John's wort is a herbaceous plant that attractsattention to yellow flowers, which is ubiquitous. He does not need special conditions for growth. It can be found on the fringes of the forest, fields, meadows and near stakes, lakes, rivers. The St. John's wort has found wide acceptance in the recipes of folk medicine for the therapy and prevention of various diseases.
Composition of medicinal herbs
The chemical structure of the plant is diverse, and includes the following substances:
- A complex of essential vitamins, including carotene, tocopherols, B vitamins and rutin.
- Flavonoids and phytoncides.
- Micro and macro elements (potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc).
- Essential oils and sugars.
The variety of useful trace elements determines the healing properties of the herb, and there are contraindications to this plant. Especially if you neglect the rules of admission and the allowable dose.
Indications for use of St. John's wort
The plant is used as a medicinal plantmeans in the flowering period. Long ago, grass was used to create medicinal drinks, which were treated with flu, colds, rheumatism, headache and gastrointestinal diseases. When to collect St. John's wort flowers? As a rule, the grass ripens from June to August. During this period, you can collect it for subsequent drying and use.
Women used St. John's wort with inflammation of the genitals. The main healing qualities include:
- strengthening the immune system of the body due to the content of tocopherols;
- Renewing the skin surface, improving visual acuity and protecting the body from the effects of viruses and bacteria;
- reduction of inflammatory processes and an increase in the rate of wound tightening;
- antiparasitic action;
- improving the performance of the heart muscle;
- prevent the degeneration of healthy cells into cancerous cells;
- improvement of the epidermis and prevents its aging;
- strengthening of the walls of blood vessels;
- antimicrobial effect;
- antidepressant effect.
St. John's wort flowers are widely used in thethe manufacture of cosmetics that are used to treat acne, reduce the production of subcutaneous fat, pustular lesions of the skin, as well as to preserve youth and freshness of the skin.
What to dry with St. John's wort: leaves or flowers? The choice depends on how you want to use the culture. Traditional medicine mainly uses inflorescences of plants for the treatment of the following pathologies:
- Inflammation of the gallbladder.
- Depressive state.
- Gynecological diseases.
- Tuberculosis and bronchitis.
- Urinary incontinence in a child.
St. John's wort possesses a huge number of useful properties and heals serious pathologies.
Secrets of collecting
The harvesting time of St. John's wort is determined according to the period of its flowering. Due to the wide spread of the plant, the period is determined specifically, depending on the place of growth.
The flowering part of the plant is harvested. The cut is made at a distance of 10-12 cm from the tip of St. John's wort. The more inflorescences, the better.
When blossoms St. John's wort? The best time for harvesting usually starts from the second decade of July. The most favorable place to collect the plants are the desert fringes and meadows. Experts do not recommend collecting St John's wort near motorways and cities.
How to dry St. John's wort flowers? This is done in two ways. After collection, the required amount of St. John's wort is laid out on a straight surface for drying (for this purpose a pan is used).
The second method is as follows: the bundles are tied up in a suspended state.
It is forbidden to hit the plant with direct sunlight. In addition, during drying, plants should have access to fresh air. Otherwise, they can hobble.
After drying, St. John's wort is stored in this way:
- suspension by small bundles;
- grinding and packing of raw materials in paper bags or glass jars.
Thus, the plant can be stored for about 3 years, if moisture is not allowed to enter. This is suitable for dry and dark place.
Another type of storage - the oil of St. John's wort. This method is convenient and allows you to preserve the useful qualities of the plant for a long time.
How to make St. John's wort oil
For cooking, take 100 g of inflorescences andthe leaves of the plant, crush thoroughly. Pour the prepared raw material with 200 ml of olive or sunflower oil. It should be infused for a month. When the oil is ready, be sure to strain it and apply it as directed.
The recipe is considered basic, but there is anotherway of preparation means. Take 500 g of fresh plant flowers and pour a liter of olive oil and 500 ml of white dry wine. All components are thoroughly mixed and allowed to stand for 30 days. Cap it with a napkin. While oil will be infused, alcohol will come out of it. Over this period of time, all the useful properties of the plant will pass into the mixture, and one can start using a remedy for the therapy of various pathologies.
The oil of St. John's wort can be used for various diseases:
- Pain of a neural and muscular nature.
- Violation of blood circulation.
- Diseases of the skin.
- Spasms and convulsions.
In folk medicine, St. John's wort oil is used as a means for:
- wound healing, abscesses and burns;
- treatment of inflammation of the skin and oral cavity (herpes, allergies);
- with neuralgic pathologies;
- with ulcers.
To treat stomach ulcers, it can be used for 1 tbsp. spoon before eating for 30 days.
Healing tea from St. John's wort
There are recipes that can be used at home to treat many diseases.
How to make tea from St. John's wort flowers? The correct preparation of the drink provides for brewing it in a porcelain teapot, which before that is scalded with boiling water. Next, you should take 10 g of dried flowers of the plant pour a glass of boiling water. Wait for a few minutes and drink fresh. The drink is a tonic. He is drunk with colds, sleep disorders, anxiety and depressive conditions.
Therapeutic tea in the period of catarrhal diseases is prepared as follows:
- Brew 2.5 tablespoons of St. John's wort flowers and 3 tablespoons of cranberries in 0.3 liters of boiling water. Leave to insist on the night.
- Drink a prepared drink for the next day.
To make toning tea, you needtake in equal proportions St. John's wort and dog rose (2 tablespoons) and 1 teaspoon oregano. Brew and insist for a long time (5-7 hours). Drink should be used several times a day for the recovery of the body.
For a refreshing tea take 20 g of St. John's wort, a sheet of currant and pour a glass of boiling water. Brew for 20 minutes. Drink as a drink.
St. John's wort medicines for home use
The broth of the plant is prepared from the calculation of 30 g driedgrass, which poured 0.5 liters of water. Put the product on a small fire and boil for half an hour. Then give time to the broth to infuse. Further, it must be filtered and filtered. The result is a liquid of a reddish-brown hue, which completely preserves all the useful properties of St. John's Wort. Decoction can be used internally and externally in the quality of lotions and compresses.
Infusion of dry or fresh herbs will be ready,after 4-6 hours, which have passed since the moment of its brewing. Saturated and fragrant liquid is used for the treatment of gastritis, colitis, cholelithiasis and processes of inflammation of the genitourinary sphere. The use of infusion for rinsing the throat and oral cavity during stomatitis helps a lot. As a lotion, the remedy is used for mosquito bites, irritation of the skin, abscesses and wounds of various types.
How to brew St. John's wort flowers? The duration of the process largely depends on the fact that you need to make tea, infusion or decoction.
In some cases, the dried herb St. John's Wortpreparing tincture. 10 g of raw materials are taken 7 parts of alcohol or 10 parts of vodka. In the glass container the drug is infused for 3 days. Alcohol tincture is used as an anesthetic, warming and anti-inflammatory agent for the therapy of muscle and joint pain.
Another method of using the plant ispreparation of St. John's wort extract. According to the recipe, 50 g of grass should be filled with the same amount of alcohol. If vodka is used to make the extract, then it is taken twice as much. He helps with the therapy of abscesses and ulcers. To treat pain in the back, you need to apply lotion from the extract.
To rinse your mouth into a glass of water, you need to add a few drops of the drug. The procedure will relieve the unpleasant odor and strengthen the gum.
For the treatment of bruises, cuts and fracturesan effective ointment with St. John's wort is used. To cook it take 20-30 g, crushed to the state of powder, raw materials. Add a little pork fat and mix well. Store the ointment in a cool place, and preferably in the refrigerator.
There is a recipe where instead of pork fat takeVaseline or baby cream. Grass powder is mixed with a fatty base in a 1: 1 ratio. Keep in the fridge. Method of application: apply to the affected area 3 times a day until the pain decreases.
Flowers or leaves of St. John's wort can not be appliedonly for pharmaceutical purposes, but also to prepare from these components fine masks and decoctions for the face on their own. After all, the plant is able to help a woman achieve a beautiful and healthy skin.
The possibilities of St. John's wort are so wide that they allow using it in different beauty recipes.
The plant is acquired not only in the pharmacy, but also collected independently. At home, having only improvised means, you can prepare healing broths, infusions, masks and face creams.
Effective are the means to care for the problem, combined or skin with inflammation:
- To work the sebaceous glands normalized,should use the tincture of St. John's wort. It is made from 2 spoons of herbs and 250 ml of boiling water. After 30 minutes the mixture is ready, it is filtered and rubbed face. Within a week the skin will become drier and the inflammatory process will go away. To maintain a positive effect, you must wipe your face in the morning and evening for 30 days.
- To get rid of greasy shine and enhancedpores should use the infusion of this plant, frozen in the form of cubes. The broth is made in accordance with the previous recipe and poured into special forms. Then they put them in the refrigerator before freezing. Use cubes daily after evening washing, wiping them skin. Regular use will narrow the pores and rejuvenate the skin. In addition to the result, the appearance of acne will decrease, small wrinkles will be smoothed out, and the contour of the face will be tightened. To enhance the effect in the cubes, you can add the grass of eucalyptus and sage.
- For dry facial skin, you can prepare a cream. It is necessary to take 30 g. Of plant and butter, a few drops of juice of one lemon, and then mix. Apply to the skin of the face before going to bed.
- For dry skin is appliednutritious mask, which includes 10 g. St. John's wort, 1 yolk and a few spoons of carrot juice. The agent is applied to the cleansed face and left for a quarter of an hour. Then the mask is removed and the nourishing cream is applied.
- To prepare a lotion from wrinkles, you need to take a glass of infusion and a tablespoon of vodka. After washing, it is necessary to wipe the resulting skin with the face, neck and neck.
- Bath for heels. 100 g of dry plant pour a liter of hot water. Boil for 5 minutes. The broth is poured into a convenient container and the bath procedures for the feet are started.
Regular use of cosmetics based on plants will make the skin of the face radiant and healthy.
Therapeutic properties of St. John's wort for a female body
In gynecology, grass has long been used to treat erosions and menstrual irregularities. During the period of treatment it is recommended to give up sexual life.
St. John's wort is used in the following diseases:
- Malfunction of the menstrual cycle. Use in the form of tea 750 ml per day for 90 days.
- Cervical erosion. A glass of dried St. John's wort flowers is dried in a frying pan or baking sheet. Then it is powdered and poured with vegetable oil. Insist, periodically shaking, for 12 days. Strain and insert into the vagina tampons, soaked in a decoction. Treatment should be carried out until complete recovery.
- Mastopathy. 20 grams of St. John's wort is poured into 500 ml of boiling water. Cook until the volume of the liquid is reduced by a factor of 2. Take 30 ml three times a day after meals. Treatment continues for a month. Take a break for 14 days. If necessary, continue with this infusion.
St. John's wort for the treatment of various pathologies in a woman can reduce the symptoms of the disease, provided the correctness of the intake and the necessary duration of the course.
St. John's wort for men
The plant has toning properties, and itcan increase the sexual activity of members of the stronger sex. Particularly useful for those who have an erection decreased as a result of chronic fatigue or stressful situations.
To increase the potency of the following recipes:
- 10 grams of herbs pour a glass of hot water andinsist for half an hour. Filter the infusion and consume 50 ml not more than 3 times a day until the condition is relieved. The course of therapy is at least 1 month.
- Extract of St. John's wort. 40 g of grass mixed with 100 grams of vodka. Close tightly and put in a dark place. Drink the product 3 times a day for 40 drops. The course of treatment should be no more than 30 days.
- Broth of St. John's wort. To prepare the preparation, mix 10 grams of grass with a glass of water. Put on a fire and boil. Then cook the mixture in a water bath for half an hour. Use at least half an hour before meals 50 ml each. The course of therapy is 30 days.
When carrying out the correct procedure for preparing medicines based on St. John's wort, it is possible to achieve the return of potency and sexual activity in men.
What are the contraindications for St. John's wort?
Despite many useful qualities, the plantis toxic. There are medicinal properties and contraindications to the herb. If you take it for a long time and uncontrolled, it can cause negative consequences: a bitter taste in the mouth, an increase in the size of the liver and more.
Use of medicines is prohibited under the following conditions:
- During pregnancy and lactation it is forbiddento take drugs based on St. John's wort. After all, the drug can worsen the taste qualities of breast milk. At the same time washing the decoction of the plant and the use of ointments are allowed during the entire period of bearing the child.
- With oncological diseases of the genital area.
- With chronic liver and kidney diseases.
- With excessive use of alcohol.
During the application of funds based on St. John's wort, it is necessary to observe the rules for their reception:
- During the period of consumption, preparations based on plants, there is an increase in sensitivity to direct sunlight. At this time, it is best to avoid getting ultraviolet light on the skin.
- When hypertension is not recommended to use funds with St. John's wort, because of its ability to increase blood pressure.
- It is forbidden to use plant-based preparations for people who have undergone organ transplantation operations. St. John's wort can reject an alien body.
- Grass reduces the effect of contraceptive use.
- The prolonged period of consumption of St. John's wort by men leads to a weakening of potency.
- It is not recommended to use preparations containing St. John's Wort more than 4 weeks. This can cause an increase in the liver.
- The plant is able to provoke the body's production of male hormones, which is fraught with a woman's breach of the menstrual cycle and hair growth on the face.
- It is forbidden to use the flowers of St. John's wort together withantibiotics. The plant promotes rapid removal of the medicine from the body, which will lead to a decrease in the effect and treatment will not give a positive result.
Before you start taking the drug, you need to get advice from a specialist about the optimal dose and duration of therapy.
St. John's wort is an amazing plant thathas many useful properties. He is able to provide assistance in the therapy and prevention of various diseases. It can be used not only in medicine, but also in cosmetology. With proper use with observance of the course of treatment and in the appropriate dosage, St. John's wort can only benefit the body. To use the plant for a long time is not recommended to avoid negative consequences and serious complications.</ p>