Today, when you can easily get anythe number of free mailboxes, simply registering an account on the services of "Yandex", "Mail.Ru" and the like, such a question as setting up the mail server does not bother many users.
However, there are times when knowing at least some aspects of this issue will be useful.
When it is necessary
Situations where basic knowledge of setting up mail is needed by an ordinary user is not so much. And nevertheless, any of them can happen at any time:
- If it was decided to switch from a browser-based mailclient to a separate program. After all, in many respects these clients are preferable: they allow you to combine the mail program with an organizer, a notebook, and also more flexibly manage the address book and administer messages.
- There was an unexpected malfunction in the mailclient, all the settings have been posted. And then you just need to install the mail server. Setting it up usually does not take much time and effort, but otherwise you can stay without mail for quite some time.
- Free mailboxes can be destroyedadministration, and without explaining the reasons. Yes, and it looks like such a box in the eyes of business partners, frankly speaking, is untenable. So you have to start the dedicated server.
- If the provider offers a separate mailbox, then why not use this offer.
Configuring the Windows Mail Server
The basic parameters of e-mail, such as DNS, IP data and similar information, are issued directly by the provider.
To start using OS mail clientsWindows, it will be necessary either to download the client suitable for this operating system, or to resort to the help of the clients built into it. To begin with, you will need to create a new account. As a rule, at the same time they are also asked to enter its name, to come up with a password and login for the entrance.
You may need to enable Windows Mail Services through the "Uninstall and Install Programs" panel in the E-mail Services component installation section.
Next, you need to start POP3 Service and specify a new mail domain, for example, mail.serv.main.com. A more accurate domain you need to know from your ISP.
To create a new box you will need to come up with a username and password.
In the SMTP settings, you must specify the numberport 25, and for the POP3 server - 110. If the provider issues other parameters, you must enter them. If the mail client you are using does not suggest entering the port number, you need to leave only the address provided by the provider in the "Server for incoming messages" items (this can be either POP3 or IMAP) and "Name for the outgoing server" ( usually only SMTP).
More fine tuning of the Windows mail serverin many respects depends on the used mail application, but the principle of operation will be the same. The difference can be in the options of the graphical interface and in menu items.
Transition from free mail to a dedicated client
Sometimes you need to stay at the freemail service, but use a separate application as a client. You can show this in the example of the mail settings for the Yandex service. Setting up the mail server will then be performed with the following settings.
1. Settings for IMAP for incoming messages:
- mail server address: imap.yandex.ru;
- in the security settings for the connection, you must specify SSL;
- the port number is specified 993.
2. To configure outgoing IMAP messages:
- as the server address, specify smtp.yandex.ru;
- in connection security settings you must also set SSL;
- port number should be set to 465.
3. Regarding the POP3 protocol for sent messages:
- as the server address, specify pop.yandex.ru;
- As security settings for the connection used, SSL is specified;
- the port number is specified 995.
4. For outgoing messages sent via POP3:
- the address of the mail server is smtp.yandex.ru;
- In the security settings for the used connection, SSL is again indicated;
- port number is exhibited 465.
As the user name, as well as the address and password, you should set the existing addresses and passwords from the mail on "Yandex".
Configuring the server Mail.Ru
Sometimes you need to learn about the settings of Mail.Ru mail server. In general, the setting looks exactly the same as described in the case of Yandex mail. But the parameters will look like this:
- full email address (in format with @, for example [email protected]);
- for imap-server is specified imap.mail.ru;
- for smtp-server is specified smtp.mail.ru;
- the user name is the full email address from the already existing mail;
- password is the password used from the mail;
- IMAP: number 993 (for SSL / TLS protocols);
- POP3: number 995 (for SSL / TLS protocols);
- SMTP: number 465 (for SSL / TLS protocols);
- you must specify that you want to authorize the server of sent messages, in the authentication parameters - a simple password, without encryption.
In general, the settings are specified exactly the same,as in the case of "Yandex", but only with the addition of the prefix mail. For other free servers, you should set the same parameters, but with the corresponding prefixes.
As can be seen, in general, nothing complicated in thisThe question is how to configure the mail server, no. Even a novice user can handle this task. But you can be sure that even in case of a critical failure without mail, you will not have to stay.
The task of raising your own mail servers with Linux tools, Apache, SQL and the like requires deeper knowledge in the field of information technology.</ p>