The Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) is the management of the Academy, a collegial executive body acting on an ongoing basis.
Composition of the Presidium of the RAS
The composition of the governing body of the RAS includes: president, vice president, 80 members of the Academy of Sciences. The auxiliary body of the Presidium is an apparatus with structural subdivisions.
The president is elected for 5 years at a general meeting. Currently, acting The President is Valery Vasilyevich Kozlov. He issues orders, makes proposals on the appointment of vice-presidents and members of the Academy. The first - this is 10 academicians, are elected at the general meeting of the members of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
80 members of the Academy are elected at the general meetingmembers of the RAS from the regional branches of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The president, general meetings of district offices can offer their candidates for this post. The Presidium of the RAS is elected for 5 years. Legal document of the Presidium - decisions.
Powers of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Among the main ones, the following should be indicated:
- Conducts the examination of scientific projects and programs, approves the results of examinations and monitoring.
- Conducts a general meeting of the members of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Develops, approves the charters of the regional branches of the Russian Academy of Sciences, introduces changes in them.
- Approves the chairmen of the regional branches of the Russian Academy of Sciences, scientific institutions and organizations.
- It takes decisions, in the activities and meetings of which international organizations, congresses, public organizations, the RAS will participate.
- Analyzes and monitors the activities of scientific institutions and organizations.
Programs of the Presidium of the RAS
In 2001, the idea arose to form programspriority areas of research in science. President Vladimir Putin invited all the current leadership to discuss directions and prospects for further development, and to improve the work of the Russian Academy of Sciences. At the meeting, the President of the country noted that when forming plans for academic research, scientific works, research programs, it is necessary to strengthen the competitive basis.
The planning of fundamental research and scientific work in the RAS is of a competitive nature. Plans are approved in the institutes on scientific councils, then at the level of regional branches.
The range of studies was significantly reduced forrecent years, as funding for fundamental research areas has decreased. There was an idea of forming a program that would make it possible to allocate and financially support the priority areas of science.
The Presidium for the first time in 2001 formed the firsta list of such programs. Thus, for 16 years the approach of allocating priority directions of research has been successfully working. The most relevant programs of the Presidium of the RAS in recent years have been devoted to the historical memory of the Russian people, the identity of Russians, the spiritual values of the Russian nation, the historical and cultural heritage of Russia and many other problems.</ p>