Calcium carbonate is a chemicala compound of an inorganic nature, which includes natural calcium and a salt of carbonic acid. This compound is widely found in nature in the limestone, chalk, hard marble, and also in the form of natural minerals of calcite, aragonite and others.
Calcium carbonate is used in a variety ofIt is indispensable in the production of glass, widely used in the food industry (where it is more commonly known as E170) as a food coloring agent in white, is one of the components in the manufacture of paints, plastics, and personal care products. The main consumers of calcium carbonate are producers of all kinds of plastics and plastics, because even the plastic panels, linoleum, carpets and tiles that are familiar to everyone today are derivatives of calcium carbonate. But the most familiar form in which we know this substance, are, of course, known to all from childhood tablets.
Calcium carbonate: use in medicine.
Use of this inorganic compoundin medicine it is caused, first of all, by the maintenance in it of a calcium in the pure state. Therefore, this drug is used to replenish calcium in the body, as well as in the complex therapy for the treatment of joint diseases. Calcium carbonate perfectly helps strengthen bones and teeth, and is also recommended for improving the quality of nails and hair. In addition, the drug has a unique property to neutralize the action of hydrochloric acid and to normalize the increased acidity of the stomach.
The main indications for the use of this drug are:
- Hyperacidity of gastric juice, andarising on its background all kinds of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. This gastritis, including in the phase of exacerbation, duodenitis, ulcerous exacerbations, as well as heartburn.
- Calcium deficiency or increased need forin some periods of life: rickets and early caries in children, osteoporosis, including those that occurred after menopause, as well as the period of pregnancy, lactation, hypocalcaemia, resulting from poor absorption of calcium or as a result of its increased excretion from the body.
Calcium carbonate: instructions for use.
When dosing the drug, take into account the agepatient, as well as the specificity of the disease. For children under 10 years, in the treatment of rickets or caries, the dose varies, depending on the weight, from 300 to 600 mg per day.
With a gastrointestinal disease, the drug is prescribed for oral administration, the dose is from 0.5 to 1 g. per day.
To compensate for calcium deficiency, preventionosteoporosis, as well as in the complex treatment of the condition of hair and nails, the dose of the drug is selected individually, taking into account the drug interaction, weight, height, and condition of the gastrointestinal tract. It can range from 250 ml to 1.5 g. per day.
Despite a wide range of activities, natural origin and universality, this drug also has some limitations in its application.
- The presence of kidney stones, especially of calcium origin.
- Propensity of the circulatory system to form blood clots.
- Atherosclerosis in severe form.
- Individual intolerance to the drug.
Also, when calcium carbonate is taken,take into account and some features of its interaction with other drugs. Thus, it has the ability to simultaneously take with antibiotics belonging to the tetracycline group, reduce their effectiveness and reduce the concentration of tetracycline in the blood. Also, the drug is able to reduce the absorption of indomethacin, levothyroxine and some other drugs.</ p>