Ammonia is a colorless gas with a very strong odor. It is a part of various compounds, each of which has its own name.
- the interaction of ammonia (gas) molecules and water forms a compound - ammonium hydrate;
- an aqueous solution of ammonium hydrate is ammonia alcohol (the word "alcohol", in this case, means "spirit" - "spirit" "gas").
Ammonia in medicine
In medicine, a 10% solution of ammonia is used and it is often released under the name "ammonia". Therefore, if you are offered ammonia in your pharmacy instead of ammonia, you know that it's the same thing.
The solution is transparent, has a sharp odor and evaporates rapidly. Therefore, the container must be tightly closed.
Ammonia is a respiratory stimulant, a topical irritant, an antiseptic and a disinfectant.
Indications for use:
- Syncope (syncope) and collapse - to stimulate respiration;
- toxic effects of alcohol - to stimulate vomiting;
- surgical practice - for the disinfection of hands (the method of SI Spasokukotsky and IG Kochergin);
- neuralgia, myositis - pain relief;
- insect bites - as a distracting and disinfectant.
- externally - with eczema, dermatitis, skin diseases;
- hypersensitivity to the drug;
- children's age - up to 3 years;
- pregnancy and the period of breastfeeding;
Ammonia 10% (instructions for use warns) has some side effects:
- Do not breathe fumes of ammonia for a long time, it can lead to headaches, symptoms of intoxication (nausea, vomiting) and stopping breathing.
- Do not use undiluted form inside, it can cause poisoning and burning of digestive organs.
- In case of external application irritation, burn, allergic reaction may occur. In this case, it is necessary to stop contact with the drug and wash the skin and mucous membranes with plenty of clean water.
Form of issue
A solution is produced in vials of 10, 40, 100 ml and in ampoules of 1 ml each. Vials should be tightly closed and do not let smell of ammonia out.
If you purchased ammonia in ampoules, theapplication will differ only in the way of opening the container: it is necessary to wrap a thin mouth of the ampoule with a piece of cotton wool and then break it with a little effort.
Released without a doctor's prescription.
The action of ammonia on the human body
If the ammonia solution is used correctly, it has a positive effect.
- when applied to the skin, it has a vasodilatoraction, improves the regeneration of tissues, inhibits the source of the pathological process, reduces muscle tension, vasospasm, pain sensations (distracting action).
- when inhaled vapors of the drug, it excites the respiratory and vasomotor centers.
- when administered orally (in diluted form) increases the excitability of the emetic center and provokes vomiting.
Help with insect bites
Ammonia is very suitable for relieving pain when biting insects. The instruction for use explains this by the fact that it activates substances that block pain impulses from receptors to the brain.
Therefore, it is often prescribed with insect bites to remove an unpleasant itchy, and sometimes significant pain at the site of the bite.
It is necessary to use an ammonia solution of 10%. Instructions for use are quite simple:
- moisten a piece of cotton wool in a solution and apply to the bite site for several minutes;
- If an allergic reaction or pain occurs, wash the cotton wool with the solution and clean the skin area with clean water.
Effects of ammonia in fainting
Even in a dissolved state, ammonia quickly evaporates, and its odor is evident immediately after opening the vial.
The surprisingly rapid effect of ammonia vapors onthe human condition is explained by the fact that this substance, when inhaled, gets on the mucous membranes, gets inside and irritates the nerve endings. This excites the respiratory and vasomotor centers, which is manifested by rapid breathing and increased blood pressure.
That is why most often in medical practice the ammonia solution is used to bring the person to consciousness in a faint. After all, this condition is characterized by a decrease in pressure and respiratory depression.
Help with fainting
Fainting can happen quite unexpectedly withby any person. It occurs with prolonged exposure in a stuffy room, blood loss, lowering blood pressure, with certain diseases, severe nervous shocks.
Therefore, it is advisable to always have ammonia at hand. Instructions for use, when slightly fainting, lightly moisten a piece of any tissue or cotton wool (gauze, handkerchief) in the ammonia solution and bring it to the victim's nose literally for 1-2 seconds - no longer.
This almost always immediately brings the victim to consciousness and simplifies the provision of follow-up medical care, if necessary.
Ammonia for alcohol poisoning
Sometimes, with an excessive amount of drunkalcohol, ease the condition helps provoke vomiting. However, not always a person is able to induce a corresponding reflex. Then a solution of ammonia can be very useful. Instructions for use usually do not contain detailed information for this case. However, doctors recommend acting as follows:
- at an average alcoholic intoxication to drip into a glass of water 2-3 drops of a solution of ammonia;
- at strong alcoholic intoxication the quantity of drops of a solution on a glass of water to increase - 5-6 drops.
The victim must drink this water, and thenit will trigger a gag reflex. Even if this does not cause vomiting, it will help quickly bring a person to life and simplify further assistance. Treatment should be supplemented with a large amount of drinking in the form of strong tea, coffee, ryazhenka or kefir. It is also recommended to rub the affected whiskey with ammonia solution (ammonia) - this will clarify his consciousness.
Ammonia solution as a remedy for drinking
A person who has been in a drinking bout for a long time,it is quite difficult to come to your senses. To help him in this, you can use ammonia. The instruction on the use of the drug does not officially give recommendations on this matter. This method is, rather, popular, but effective.
However, you should strictly adhere to the dosage,to avoid the occurrence of side effects that ammonia can provoke. Instructions for use describe them in detail (they are also presented to your attention in the article).
So, after a prolonged use of alcohol, a person should be given the following remedy: 10 drops of ammonia solution per glass of water. This drink should be given three times a day.
Ammonia in neuralgia and myositis
What else can be useful for ammonia? The instructions for use contain information on the treatment of neuralgia and myositis, but details of its conduct are not described.
These recipes are diverse and characteristic mainly for traditional medicine. There is no need to describe them all. Usually it all boils down to lotions and compresses (applications), which include ammonia.
Neuralgia is characterized by pain in the muscles caused by inflammation, jamming or irritation of the nerve endings.
When the disease can be used, ammonia in the form oflotions, compresses. Do not use the solution undiluted. It is better to mix ammonia with water, oil or cream in a ratio of 1: 5, where 1 is a solution of ammonia (ammonia).
This method is intended, rather, for the removal of pain, rather than for full recovery. After all, the causes of neuralgia can be very different: from colds to trauma.
In any case, if burning or other uncomfortable sensations occur, stop the procedure, remove the compress and wash the skin with water.
Myositis is an inflammation of the muscles. The main symptom is pain at the site of inflammation: in the neck, shoulders, chest, back or thigh.
Ammonia alcohol (ammonia solution), as well as in neuralgia, helps to reduce the pain syndrome in this condition. Such treatment is considered symptomatic, and not basic.
Compresses are applied to the sore spot, which includes 1 part of ammonia and at least 5 parts of the other component (water, oil, broth, cream).
Before conducting such treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor.</ p>