Sewing clothes for yourself is very beneficial, becauseallows you to save money. Many housewives master this craft, but face such problems as choosing a fabric for sewing a particular product. After all, if we sew fashionable clothes ourselves, we want to make it unique and bright.
Assortment: choose the material
When selecting materials, most are guided byfirst of all, on the "semantic load" of the product, that is, in its appearance. For blouses widely used varieties of silk - crepe de Chine, crepe-georgette, poplin, chiffon. They are light, elastic, their hygienic properties are good. Now silk fabrics are produced from natural fibers in a mixture with synthetic (acetate, viscose) and artificial fibers. These fabrics very well hold the form, do not crumple, are good in sock. If we sew fashionable clothes ourselves, we know that for the manufacture of shirts and blouses are widely used cotton materials, which are easy.
The assortment of fabrics for dresses is varied: Cotton, linen, made from natural silk and chemical fibers. Such demand is explained by the presence of fibers with different structure, different interlacing of yarns, design and colors of fabric. Now in a fashion dresses from jersey, which also is presented in the big assortment. Knitted fabrics differ a number of advantages: they sit well on a figure, do not hinder movements, products from them turn out to be elastic.
Principles of selection
When choosing the basis for the future product, it will be useful to take into account the following points:
- When choosing fabrics, it is necessary to pay attention tolabels with the name of the fibers and their ratio. The composition of the fibers influences such moments as the method of product care, the selection of the wet-heat treatment (WTO) regime, the choice of the model, and others.
- In the case when we sew fashionable clothes ourselves,knowledge of physical and mechanical characteristics of the fabric will allow us to accurately determine whether it is suitable for this model. These include such properties of the fabric as stretching along and across, shrinkage, the ability to deform, the shedding of filaments in the seams, resistance to high temperatures, color fastness.
- All materials have the ability to shrink invarious degrees. This property is used to fix the shape of parts with the help of the WTO. But some fabrics have more shrinkage than is required. To avoid misalignment of seams and reduce the size of parts of the products during sewing before cutting, you need to perform decalting - steaming. This can be done simply - iron with steam. It is better to make a decoupage for all types of materials - so you can avoid unpleasant surprises.
Thus, in the case when we sew ourselvesfashionable clothes, you need to pick up the fabric. And for this you need to know the composition of the fibers in it. In many large stores consumers are provided with a technical passport for one or another material. But there are cases when it is not possible to find out the composition of the tissue. In this case, you can take on a few useful tips:
- inspect the appearance of the material, put it on your arm, wrap it, pay attention to how the fabric drapes, is pleasant to the touch, soft or hard, heavy or light, crumples hard;
- try pulling along and across the canvas;
- You can determine the composition of the material yourself, if the sellers provide samples-pieces. In extreme cases, you can buy a small cut and conduct experiments, cutting off a small piece.
How to conduct experiments?
Cut a small piece (5 by 5 cm) andcheck the material first to scatter the fibers. The way of processing the seam edge depends on this. Fabrics of coarse and semi-coarse wool, cotton and artificial silk are strongly crumbled in sections. This should be taken into account when modeling products from them. It is necessary to avoid the use of incisions, complicated relief seams, complex shape coats, slotted pockets and other elements. Also, there should be additional allowances for seams.
When we sew fashionable clothes ourselves, we do not alwayswe know that the composition of the fibers can be determined in the following way - just need to set fire to the scrap, holding the forceps. By type of flame and ash, you can set the type of fabric fibers:
- Cellulose: cotton, linen, viscose yarns are easily ignited, quickly burned with a yellow flame. When you are away from the fire, there is a glow. You can smell burning paper. The ash is soft, gray in color, easily disintegrates.
- Protein: Woolen, silk threads burn slowly, with twisting, usually spontaneously decay. The smell of burning hair. The ashes of woolen threads are black or brown, easily crumbled. At the end of the silk thread after burning remains charred ball crushing.
- Acetate, acrylic yarns burn and melt and after removal from the fire source with the smell of vinegar. Ash - a black ball.
- Capron and nylon, consisting of polyamide yarns,Burn and melt, immediately stopping the burning after the fire is removed. Instead of ash, a hot mass is formed, which can be kneaded with tweezers. As the cooling cools, the mass hardens.
- Fibers made of polyester, lavsan yarns burn like polyamide fibers, but they are more resistant to elevated temperature. With smoke of black color. Ashes in the form of solid brittle balls of black color.
When we sew fashionable clothes, we often do everything by sight. However, following these simple tips, you can easily find the right material for any type of clothing and sew it qualitatively.</ p>